Posted by: shelleyjo's life beat | November 5, 2008

Another All Nighter

Saturday, November 2, 2008

I am writing this after 7 in the morning, and haven’t been to bed yet.

I realized I was not going to rest well, so I decided to do the 12 hour glucose curve tests on our cat. Yes, our cat is an insulin dependent diabetic. A few times a year I stay up with her and poke her ear for blood to test at least every other hour. The optimum is every hour, so this time I have been shooting for every hour to hour and a half. This meant not even lying down to rest or I would not get up again.

We are almost at the end, with a couple of more times to go and we will be done for a few more months. Woo-Hoo!

I am not her favorite person right now, that is for sure. She has a way of folding her ears back and tightening them so you not only have to pull them out of the muzzle, but it cuts the blood flow as well, which makes it harder on both of us by morning. This last time, almost an hour ago, she tried to get away and run down the sofa with the muzzle covering her eyes. Poor Baby! Her little ears must be smarting.

In the interim, I also purged the pantry of a lot of it’s clutter and tossed a bunch of stuff, and am holding some aside for a yard sale. I had to figure out ways to safely store the different cereals and crackers. It is time for bugs to come indoors and I want to make it harder for them to get in to the foods.

I cleared the counters, and the computer desk area, and the table. Looks better, but still not done. Too much paper and piles of “stuff” all over this place. How much junk mail and paper can one person collect? Ugh!

I did a huge load of dishes from this project and felt good after that. I realized it was time for me to eat and cooked up some veges and eggs and a piece of toast. It was a nice, hot breakfast on a cold morning and smelled so good. Wonder if the fragrance came through the vents to the neighbors? It would have made them want a good breakfast.

Anyway, my work was too random and interrupted to be effectively done, but it is better than it has been in a couple of months. I am hitting the wall now and it will get harder to stay up. Then, it will be time for laundry to be taken down to the laundry room.

I am glad I was able to be somewhat productive, but need to do some more later this evening.

I wish I could work like this at normal hours of the day! Sometimes it sucks to be a late evening to night person, especially when you have to get up so early for work (4:40 a.m.).

11:00 a.m. on Sunday morning and we are finally done! Now, I get to shower and get ready to go to Teri’s for some photo-shop time with my old photos.

My kitty has forgiven me and is nuzzling me and purring. It is so amazing how she knows that it isn’t for hurt, but for her own sake. She is so good at taking her shots twice a day for these years, and will even wake us up when it is time if we are oversleeping. She can tell what she needs.

We will see what the vet has to say about her insulin levels. I have a feeling it is time to up the dosage a bit, which means more expense. sigh!



  1. I don’t think I could do that with my cat. I am glad you got through it! You mean you went to Terri’s with no sleep! You are crazy!!!!!!!! But I still love ya!

    Hope you got more rest last night and get some tonight!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: